Whole Smoked Chicken
Throwing one chicken on for the family, or three or four for a big event, this is an easy way to create juicy pulled chicken for you and your guests.
- Traeger Timberline
- Traeger Apple Wood Pellets
- Butcher's Twine
- 1/2 Cup Kosher Sale
- 1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 Gallon Water
- Ice Cubes (if using a cooler)
- Rock's Coffee Rub Spice Blend
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1/2 Lemon (quartered)
- 1/4 Vidalia Onion (quartered)
- 4 Sprigs Thyme
- Start by picking out your container. This container will need to fit in a fridge, but as you can see below using a cooler and placing ice is a great substitute. With the container selected place a gallon of cold water into the container. Next pour Kosher salt and brown sugar into the container and allow to dissolve, stirring if desired. If using a cooler, place ice cubes to keep the water temp cold. Then allow your whole chicken(s) to brine for at least 8 hours (or overnight).
- As you get ready to prepare your whole chicken(s), get your smoker started and set to 225°.
- Begin by cutting the onion & lemon, while separating the garlic & thyme to stuff the cavity.
- With the ingredients prepped, stuff the cavity with the onion, lemon, garlic & thyme then using butchers twine, tie the legs together to hold all the juice in. Next take your shaker bottle of Rock's Coffee Rub and season all sides of the chicken.
- With your smoker to temp & your whole chicken(s) seasoned, place them directly on the grill grate breast side up. Place your temperature probe into the thickest part of the breast. Then smoke at 225° for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until your temperature probe reads 160°.
- After the whole chicken(s) comes to temp, remove and place on a cutting board to rest for about 10 minutes. The temp should rise another 5° or so.
- After it rests, cut the whole chicken as desired to serve.
- (Optional) pull apart and shred all the meat to serve as "pulled chicken"
Whole Smoked Chicken
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
If you like what you see, we’d appreciate a follow on Instagram @Smoked_Q