The "Spatchcock" technique allows for a quicker, more uniform cook to a whole chicken. With a little extra prep you can spread out the cooking surface and feed your guests in no time. Throw on some Rock's Anytime & Rock's Citrus and then kick it up a notch with some Rock's Irish Whiskey BBQ Sauce to finish it off!QUICK RECIPE: Spatchcock chicken, smoked at 375° for 75 minutes, rest and serve
- 1/4 bag Traeger Meat Church Pellets
- 1 whole Chicken
- 2 tbsp Rock's Anytime Spice Blend
- 1 tbsp Rock's Citrus Spice Blend
- Before you begin to spatchcock your whole chicken, set your Traeger Timberline 1300 smoker to 375° and allow to come to temp.
- NOTE: For this recipe we used the new Traeger Meat Church pellets1/4 bag Traeger Meat Church Pellets
- Spatchcock is a technique used to spread out the birds cooking surface. To begin, flip the bird breast side down.1 whole Chicken
- Locate the spine, and take a pair of cooking shears to cut along the right side of the backbone.
- After cutting all the way along the backbone, switch to the left side and cut out the entire backbone, then discard.
- Next make a small incision in the middle of the breast bone. Then flip the bird over and lay it breast side up.
- Now take the palm of your hand and apply some pressure to the bird to separate the breast bone, thus laying the bird "flat".
- With the bird prepped, pat dry with a paper towel. This will allow for a crispy skin.
- Next apply a 2 to 1 ratio of our Rock's Anytime Spice Blend and our Rock's Citrus Spice Blend.2 tbsp Rock's Anytime Spice Blend, 1 tbsp Rock's Citrus Spice Blend
- With the birds prepped and your smoker to temp, place the bird directly on the grate but spread them out "flat".
- Allow to cook for about 75 minutes, until the internal temp on the breast reaches 162-163°
- When at temp, pull the bird off and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes to serve to your guests.
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
If you like what you see, we’d appreciate a follow on Instagram @Smoked_Q